We all have our favorite supplements, which tend to be the ones that work best for us. However, generally speaking, the ultimate test for supplement efficacy is years of substantiated published and undisputed evidence proving its benefits. Beta-alanine is one such supplement!
Recently, the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutriton published a sports nutrition position stand about beta-alanine. In this article, 14 of the top supplement scientists, from research institutes across the globe, chimed in on the research proven effectiveness of beta-alanine. These scientists collectively reported the following ACTION POINTS regarding beta-alanine as a world-class sports supplement:
- Beta-alanine supplementation is safe
- Four weeks of beta-alanine supplementation (4-6 g/day) significantly boosts muscle carnosine concentrations, which serve to buffer increases in acidity in exercising muscle.
- The only substantiated side effect of high dose beta-alanine supplementation is a tingling sensation in the skin (called paraesthesia). Paraesthesia can be avoided by dividing your daily dose into 3 or 4 smaller doses (no more than 1.6 g each) and take them throughout the day.
- Daily beta-alanine supplementation (4-6 g/day) for at least 2 to 4 weeks improves exercise performance, especially when exertion lasts between 1 and 4 minutes.
- Beta-alanine becomes more effective when stacked with other supplements (like creatine). This synergy is not immediately apparent and generally becomes noticeable after 4 weeks of consistent supplementation.
Trexler ET, Smith-Ryan AE, Stout JR, Hoffman JR, Wilborn CD, Sale C, Kreider RB, Jäger R, Earnest CP, Bannock L, Campbell B, Kalman D, Ziegenfuss TN, Antonio J. International society of sports nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Jul 15;12:30. doi: 10.1186/s12970-015-0090-y. eCollection 2015.